Tuesday, September 28, 2021

2017 List of what I canned plus title of recipes

2017 List of what I canned plus title of recipes

Peach jam--Cook's Illustrated

several jars from Reed's peaches (with the red lids) and then several from ours

Boozy Peach jam--a combo of Cook's Illustrated from canning book and recipe on internet site

Peach salsa--from Marisa McClellan pg. 156 Food in Jars    (some from Reed's and some from ours)

--the salsa from Reed's got a little mushy looking in time. I asked by email to Marisa if I could add some salt because all the other salsa recipes, including hers had salt. She said it would be all right to add 1 teas.

Pear and fig jam from "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving"  pg. 40
 uses pectin--Ball pectin--quite thick.

Green grape or scuppernong grape jelly from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving pg 89 uses liquid pectin. This had quite a bit of thin foam that was difficult to remove. Looks like it may have dissipated but I'll have to check when I open a jar. Apparently Gabe likes it--B texted me a picture.

Salted Brown Sugar Peach jam from Marisa McClellan pg.60 Preserving by the Pint

Peach Almond Conserva from  Domenica Marchetti pg. 92-93 Preserving Italy

Peach Barbecue Sauce from Marisa McClellan pg. 62 Preserving by the Pint

--I reduced the amount of cayenne pepper and used Turkish red pepper instead of Aleppo

Asian Plum Sauce from Sherry Brooks Vinton pg 241 Put 'Em Up! 

--results in a non clear sauce quite flavorful

Bourbon Maple Pear Butter from pg. 145 "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving"

White grape juice (or green grape) from the usda pages on grape juice canning http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/grape_juice.html

--I juiced the grapes by using my steamer juicer

Peach Drizzle from Marisa McClellan foodinjars.com  http://foodinjars.com/2014/10/peach-vanilla-drizzle/

Tomato Jam (Amy's is the title) from Marisa McClellan pg. 43 Food in Jars

-- this is different from what I made last year which had some herbs in it. (Don't remember which recipe I used)

Marinara sauce from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving pg. 204

--called for plum tomatoes but I used regular from Jobe farm because that is what I had on hand. the recipe says you can use a mix of heirloom tomatoes with different textures and colors. I just cooked it down more since the tomatoes were more liquidy. This sauce starts with roasting tomatoes in the oven.

Plum jam from the NYTimes jam canning page

--stone fruits all were using the same recipe (peaches, apricots, plums) so this turned out to be quite tart. I used the plums from the northernmost tree in our yard.

Rustic grape jam from Domenica Marchetti pg. 92-93 Preserving Italy

--Because I had to travel to get stuff from my dad's house and deliver it to Betsy I didn't get to all my grapes and when I got home there were very few on the vine so I was able to find 2 pds so I halved the recipe and got two little jars. I think I could have cooked this a bit less, although the temperature and the chilled plate indicated it would be okay. I think it may just a bit too thick. Next time I may get it right.

I also bottled about 22 bottles of peaches from our tree and took 14 of them to Betsy. At her house I helped her bottle 3 batches of peaches from her own tree, too.

Plum jam from Cook's Illustrated--think I like the recipe better than the NYT recipe--not quite as tart

White Peach Honey Jam from Marisa McClellan foodinjars.com and also available on food52--https://food52.com/recipes/22709-honey-sweetened-white-peach-jam-with-lemon

Crushed tomatoes from the Cook's Illustrated book.  From globe tomatoes (from Jobe's) 5 pints from 7 pints (I believe I should have cooked them a bit longer). Like the recipe and am glad to have them available.

Roasted Rhubarb Jam--from Batch. This looked really interesting and is from an interesting looking book but its directions are incomplete making it so I had to guess what to do. I wrote the author an email but I had already started the jam so I just guessed what to do. The recipe calls for a second amount of brown sugar (1/2 c) but doesn't say when to use it and it tells you to reserve the syrup resulting from macerating the rhubarb but it doesn't say when to add this to the mix. So.....I added the sugar and the syrup and cooked it up. It started out almost as thick as a jam should be and I cooked it plenty long meaning that I had something that when cool would be more like a paste. So I added 1/4 water back in. I also mashed the jam with a potato masher so the rhubarb was more broken down. I think this jam is more like a chutney or a marmalade even, especially with the lemon peel being an ingredient. I believe this would be best used in savory applications.

White peach sauce: very similar to the Peach Drizzle from the same author and website. http://foodinjars.com/2010/08/white-peach-sauce-with-vanilla-giveaway/ from our own peaches, it is very beautiful.

Roasted Marina--from The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving pg. 204

Raspberry Jam (with Cointreau)--from Batch--3 jars, not 4--fairly straight forward directions, not like the rhubarb jam. I need to be more careful with temps and cooking times, though.

So lots of canning this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment