Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Canning record 2021



I have forgotten to note the dates this year. I have bottled white grape juice (according to national center for food preservation website) and white grape jelly and I made apple sauce from the Cinnamon Strawberry tree in the middle-40.


I also made a plum/orange jam from BATCH and a honey sweetened pear/plum jam from the book Food in Jars, not the website.


Sept. 28, 2021 I've made 3 types of apple butter--a heavily spiced  from foodinjars.com, cooked in the slow cooker and then one with lots of lemon juice (called for fresh but I used bottled) from suburbanhomesteader youtube video. She juiced the pears and then made a puree (victorio strainer) and then cooked it down with sugar and lemon juice--remember to weigh the pears before juicing to do this method. I had enough puree left that I also made the pear butter in the Cooks Illustrated canning book which can be frozen. I did this because I went from the puree rather than from fresh pears and wasn't sure how that would work. They use pure pear juice as a sweetener. Since I'm going to freeze this I'm not as worried about the substitution. It's good but noticeably less sweet. I'm going to do taste tests and will note which I like best.


I've frozen lots of tomatoes in various forms. 8 pints of chopped tomatoes, tomatoes for salsa, already roasted and waiting for when I want to do the canning.


Of note: This year the blackberries were late, the white peaches quite late. The pears are still not finished and it's the end of September. The Italian plums are just now off the tree. The chinese dates are bigger than other years but still small. The Cinnamon Strawberry apples were earlyish and went mellow very fast. Practically mush inside their skins by the time I made applesauce. The yellow/red peaches were gone by the time I returned home from Holland around the 20th of August--lucky beetles and lucky friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment